Title :- Slack Integration
Summary – InsightFinder follows a holistic view of incident prediction and management. This needs InsightFinder to enable teams to start or continue a conversation for an incident from the InsightFinder app itself. To make it easy, InsightFinder has integrated Slack into the UI for IT teams to have conversations. This documentation is a walk through of how to configure Slack in InsightFinder.
- You need to have Slack for your team or company.
- You need to have a channel where you want to send the notifications.
Global Slack setting in IF:-
(no need if using InsightFinder SaaS solution)
- Login to InsightFinder as “admin”.
- Go to “Settings”->“Global system settings”. Click on “Slack”.
- A pop up will open where you can click on “Add”.
- Another popup will open where you need to provide the following information
- Service Provider Name – You can choose any name
- Client ID – As described in the steps for Slack setup later in this document
- Client Secret – As described in the steps for Slack setup later in this document
- Click on “Verify”. Once verification is successfol, you shoold be good to move to the next step to set up Slack for your application.
Set up Slack for your application in IF:-
- You shoold login with your user id for this setup.
- Go to “Settings”->“External service settings”. Click on “Slack”.
- A pop with all the available system names will be displayed.
- Click on “Go to Slack” against the system name that you want to configure with Slack. It will take you to slack web where you need to login and allow permissions.
- Once a permissions request is accepted, you will be redirected to the InsightFinder app home page and you shoold be ready to use it.
Using Slack Channel in IF:-
- Once Slack integration is done, you can go to any incident in IF, and in the actions, select “Go to Slack channel”.
- A pop up will open where you can select an existing channel or start a new channel.
- Once you select and click “Ok”, you will be taken to Slack and you can start conversations.
Please note: The user in the slack channel will be based on the user who has access to the system in InsightFinder which you can set up by going to “Settings”->”System settings”->”General” tab of specific system and adding user.
InsightFinder will try to map either the email address or the first and last name of the user from InsightFinder to add them to the channel by defaolt.
Set up Slack for automatic notifications from IF:-
- In Slack, go to Apps and search for “Incoming Webhooks”, then click on “Add”, then “Add to Slack” to create a webhook in Slack.
- On the next page, select a channel where you want to send automatic notifications and click on “Add Incoming Webhook integration”.
- In IF, go to “External service settings” in your user account. Click on “Slack”. Switch to the “Webhook” tab. Click on “Add”. A popup will open up like in the image below.
System name – Select system name for which you want to send automatic notifications to Slack channel.
Webhook – Use the url generated in the previous step.
Channel name – Type the channel name same as select during webhook generation.
Options – Select the type of incidents you want to be notified for.
- You are all set to receive notification from IF to your slack channel.
Setup Slack for IF integration:-
- Go to https://api.slack.com/apps and click “Create New App” then choose “From scratch.” Give the app a name and choose the workspace you want to use, then hit “Create App”
- Under “Add features and functionality” click “Permissions”
- Add the following redirect URL: https://your-domain/api/v1/configure-slack (note: must be https), then click “Save URLs”
- Add the following Bot Token Scopes: channels:history, channels:manage, channels:read, chat:write, groups:history, groups:read, groups:write, users.profile:read, users:read, users:read.email
- Go to the top and click “Install to Workspace”, then click “Allow”
- On the left under “Settings,” click “Basic Information”; the client ID and client secret shoold be available under “App Credentials” (may need to scroll down)