Tiernan Ray is an accomplished journalist who has written extensively for publications like ZDNet, the New York Times, Barron’s, CNN Money, Fortune, and Bloomberg. He famously launched coverage of machine learning for Barron’s back in 2015 with a cover story called “The Cloud Chip”.
In this wide-ranging discussion, Tiernan shares how the principles of ethics should be applied to AI based on his thorough analysis of current research.
Listen and learn…
- Why the field of AI ethics requires "those with authority to also have responsibility" for outcomes.
- How to instrument explainability into automated decisions made by algorithms and why explainability is like the paradox of Schrodinger's cat.
- How AI ethics is challenging because we're reducing topics like justice and fairness to algorithms whose behavior is dictated by objective functions.
- What Tiernan means when he says AI regulators can't be trusted to "grade their own homework".
- Why your personal data may soon be managed on a blockchain as a new layer of the traditional OSI stack.
Resources referenced in this episode…