In this special episode, we unpack the controversy surrounding the sentient chatbot that "worries about its future". Google engineer Blake Lemoine published a transcript of a conversation with the chatbot LaMDA that generated strong reactions from technologists and AI ethicists. It conjured images from science fiction movies that always capture the public imagination.
Listen and learn…
- What will it be like to co-habit a world with thinking machines?
- What does it mean for an AI to be sentient? Why should we care?
- Should AI be protected under the 13th amendment?
- How do we know LaMDA's not sentient from the transcript?
- What are the ethical implications of developing sentient bots?
- Did Google act responsibly in developing a bot that is sentient-like?
References in this episode…